Traveling the Kingdom of Cambodia with an eVisa
Traveling can be anyone’s greatest pleasure. To be in places where not many can get to is a privileged experience not granted to all people.
This is probably truer still if you move have the wanderlust to move from one country to another with a passport in hand which grants you such freedom.
As a Filipino with his own passport in hand, my journey towards another country from the Southeast—the Kingdom of Cambodia, specifically—has been a smooth-sailing experience thanks to the passport’s power to grant me a stay of 21 days at anywhere possible in the foreign land.
In fact, given Cambodia’s granted privilege to its fellow Southeast Asian neighbors, the passport which states the country where I am from is all I need to enter it without any other special requirement, like a Cambodia travel Visa. This has been the case since 2005 up to the present.
But traveling with a companion from abroad—the USA—my friend who was a native in such country had no choice but to get his own Visa to enter the country with me. Fortunately, getting the so-called eVisa is made easy because of the internet.
Applying for eVisa Online
Although the traditional method of getting an eVisa—that is, to personally apply for it at the Cambodian embassy at Saigon—choosing to just use the internet and make the application from there has an obvious benefit for convenience. Primarily, this is rooted in the fact that getting to Saigon from anywhere in that region of Asia is no short walk from the park just to make a personal business visit.
To apply for your eVisa online, simply visit the Kingdom of Cambodia Official Government Website—https://www.evisa.gov.kh—create an account, fill out the necessary details on the Cambodia Visa form for the application, and pay for needed dues.
In order to save you from the trouble of scouring for needed Visa requirements for Cambodia during the process, make sure you have the following:
- Credit/Debit Card for online payment; the system does not allow cash payments via remittance
- Cambodia Visa picture size: Passport-size of your most recent picture in either JPG or PNG format (width to height pixel ratio: 800×1200)
- Your complete passport information
As of 2014 record, the Cambodia Visa cost is $37 total: $30 for the eVisa and an additional $7 for the processing fee.
Fulfilling on the overall process of your online application, you can now expect to get your eVisa approval within 3 business days.
Having gotten your eVisa, make sure to print two copies of it when going for your intended destination: one is to be given out to the Immigration section for your entry and the other for your exit. Maybe out of leniency or sheer less importance, there are cases when the need to present an eVisa for exit is no longer required.
- You would know that your credit card payment is successful with regards to your eVisa application when the label “Cambodia E-Visa” appeared on your credit card transaction.
- Your Visa is valid only on one entry. Do not enter Cambodia and leave it, only to return again but using your previously presented Visa.
- Your eVisa is valid even when printed in solely black-and-white inks only
- Make sure you are certain about paying for your eVisa as it is non-refundable
- If you are having issues getting your eVisa approved, you can contact the Cambodian government through the following:
- E-Visa Office:
- Tel: (855-23) 22 79 73
- Fax: (855-23) 22 49 72
- Email: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
While getting a Visa from the Cambodian government is less hassle nowadays due to the aid of modern-day technology, do not think for a second that the process required for it is lenient lest you might get disappointed.
The following are some of the things to consider if you are applying for an eVisa as entry to the country known popularly for Angkor Wat, the largest religious monument of the world:
- While you may have a passport to present in applying for your eVisa, make sure that your passport is still valid for 6 months before expiring and still has enough space for needed stamping.
- Should you opt for a visa-on-arrival, make sure you have with you the required passport-sized photo for you to be granted Visa and entry.
- If your home country qualifies with the Cambodian government’s policy of giving free entry into the country, getting a Visa is not necessary; provided you have your valid passport with you. To get the full list of countries that are given Visa-free entry privilege, click here.
- Although the Cambodian government may be showing favor towards its neighboring countries—with the exception of Bangladesh—by giving them Visa-free entry, there are countries where the kingdom’s government is not as lenient. Not only is Visa required for entry, getting them is also strictly claimed at the Cambodian embassy or consulate only. Must be for political or religious reasons, but many countries which made the list are Muslim nations. For a list of countries befitting this restriction, click here.
- If you are a passport holder issued by a country listed from the aforementioned restricted countries, you may be required to present a return or onward airline flight ticket.
- The length of your stay in Cambodia varies between 14 days at the least or 30 days at most. Commonly, this is based on your nationality. Of these countries, those of the neighboring country of Thailand are given the least stay at 14 days only, followed by the Philippines at 21 days, while the rest enjoy a full 30 days of stay unhindered in the country.
- Should a tourist make an extended stay in Cambodia past the allowable period given, a penalty costing $10 per day will be charged accordingly. This translates as getting charged for illegally staying in Cambodia with an expired short-lived Visa.
- For tourists who are intending to stay in Cambodia for longer than what a common Visa would allow, they can instead opt for a Business Visa which grants them such privilege. Business Visa is also called for other names as Regular Visa or Ordinary Visa.
You find this article interesting and helpful ? Ka-OFW Tayo please share it. Thank you!